Sunday, March 02, 2008

Dellinger Weekend Wrap!


Ok, I've updated you a bit during the weekend. Jo is considering either giving up the BFFJo job or finding me some serious drugs. I will have pictures as soon as Jeff gets back to Tucson and more when Steve arrives in Birmingham. I forgot to take my camera for a big part of the weekend activities.

Saturday was the day we all met at the church, just the family, no preaching at this time. I decided to walk out to the place Nannie is resting. Jeff went along. I would like to say how much I appreciated that decision by him, but I have no words to express it. He was what I've needed these last few months and didn't realize it. We talked for a very long time about the deaths of both his grandma and mine. He allowed me to cry and understood the need. Thanks for the shoulder.

Then the family really began arriving. One by one they made their way to the graves marked Dellinger. Even Nicole made it to the grave before she even said hello to people. The best part of that afternoon (other than my time with Jeff and Nannie) was when Uncle NT had everyone sit in a circle and give a favorite memory. What fun. We learned that Cleo skipped school one day, came back a week later - married. She was 14 Uncle Willis was 24. She says she would do it again. Uncle NT remembers Papa Dude as being sad that whole week, Aunt Cleo swears it was anger instead. Let me note that she and Willis were married 54 years before he died.

Today was actual church day. Steve went for Sunday school, breakfast with the family first. Jeff and I arrived right about the last hymn before the collection plate went around. It was nice to hear and see Uncle NT behind the pulpit again. It's been too long. The funniest part of today's events is the fact that the people that have watched me grow up thought I was Jeff's wife and this is my first visit. (Let's do a group eye roll at this point) They still don't know my name, but when I told them I'm Mildred's grandaughter, they remembered I work at Channel 8. OY!
When we left the church we stopped by Papa Dude's old house. Boy has it changed. It still looks the same on the outside but... the barn is gone, the garden is grown over, the chicken house is gone, most of the woods are now cleared. It was good times.

The weekend is over. It was so much fun. Reconnecting with Steve and Jeff were worth everything. Hopefully we'll stay in touch for years to come. In other words, don't wait 25 years to call me!

Long days and pleasant nights.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

who knew i'd reached bff status...

Anonymous said...

Amazing how a "Dellinger" weekend can happen when not "all" Dellingers we invited. It is amazing how some people can rant and rave, not to mention make statements such as, well YOU know, and expect to just go on with life. Shame on you!!!

Signed:
You know who

Anonymous said...

To my knowalge all Dellingers in the area were told about the weekend. If they need an ingraved invite to a family get together that was thrown together any way.... well I'm sorry, but no one got one of those!!!!!!!!