Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's Finally Here...

Major League Baseball 2008 season began at around 3am today. The BoSox won the first game somewhere in Japan. And honestly, I forgot who they played. I only saw the 10th inning. And what an inning it was! Everyone knows I don't like the AL. But I do like the BoSox. Probably because they really kick ass when they are in the Bronx.

Anywho, we are just 6 days away from Opening Day in St. Louis. This season will be interesting for me. I've promised myself to pay more attention to the Rockies. Especially since I already know most of their team. And I've promised my cousin that I'll pay attention to the DBacks this year. He's still trying to convince me they are a real MLB team. Not sure if I'm there yet. If they make it to the play-offs we'll see how much my favorite cousin loves me. (hint & wink)

My BFFrank is trying to convince me to turn Dodger Blue. But, no matter what, even with Piazza there last season and knowing that's where he began, I can't go there. The Dodgers are my sworn enemy. They are the only NL team that challenged my Big Red Machine in the 70's and early 80's. Once you've fought that battle, well it's tough to move on. Also, they've added Joe Torre as their Manager this year. Talk about nemesis. Joe is arguably in the top 10 all-time greatest managers to ever live. This year he will really be put to the test. He doesn't have Steinbrenner's wallet buying him the best players for this team. They'll be interesting to watch, but I still won't be pulling for them, well, unless they make it to the World Series. =)

LaRussa has his job cut out for him this year as well. The team no longer has the leaders of the past decade. Rolen is now in Detroit. Matheny left 2 years ago. Headed West, I think. And other key players opted out. From what I saw during Spring Training this is a good group of men. If we can get our pitchers well and keep them off the DL, we should be contenders for at least a Wild Card.

With Kara in St. Louis and Jeff in Tucson, Jo may not have to go to a baseball game this year. Or I might say, I might not have to watch the Rangers play this year. She chose her favorite baseball team the same way she chose her favorite football team. I like the science behind her choices, just not the final choice in baseball. In my opinion, no team in Texas has figured out how to manage a winning baseball team. It's not for lack of talent on the players fault either.

Hope you have enjoyed this commentary on Baseball according to Tammie. Grab an ice cold beer, sit back and enjoy the season.

Long days and pleasant nights.

No comments: