Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Bourbon Legend

What a weekend this has turned into.

With all my chores complete well before noon Saturday and Nicole nowhere in sight, I decided I would go see Boland. Even if I had to go alone.

Nicole came in around 5:30. I made her favorite - ghoulash and cornbread. We had a nice dinner. I helped myself to about half of the gift from Roger Clemens. Hit the shower. Kissed my daughter goodbye and headed downtown to the house Bob Wills built.

Let me lay the groundwork for why I was a bit hesitant in going.

First the Cain's is downtown. While Tulsa is working hard to bring that area back, it is still a scary place.

Second, my last outing to see a Texas Country group was a huge disaster. While I knew some of the songs, and Jo knew a lot of the songs, most of the twenty-somethings there didn't even realize a band was on the stage. All the girls looked like Paris Hilton and the boys were well, boys. Pretty much the band rocked, the audience sucked.

Third, I was on my own for this venture. If I were to try to get to the stage and some bimbo didn't want me there, who would have my back?

Fourth and most important, the last couple times we have seen Jason he was "Alien" or "Pod" Jason. We knew it was him if we closed our eyes and just listened. But if we watched, well the oddest things were happening on stage.

Last night I fell in love with Jason Boland all over again. He really rocked. While he is no longer the Jason Boland I have long loved he is a new JB that I really love. (He can eat crackers in my bed anytime, so to speak.)

The old Boland walked up to the mic and started singing and just stood there the whole set. He would drink the occasional shot of jager and chase it with Bud Light. Almost always had a cigarette. He was solemn, no smiles from this brooding man. I fell head-over-heals for him. His voice and songs were unmatched and true country.

New Boland waltzes to the mic and confidently belts out a song you would swear he had written. He is halfway thru it before you realize it's actually a song you know from Waylon! No cigarette now and he sips from a bottle of water. His voice is still classic Boland. No others can replicate that. You swear that Waylon song was actually Boland's all along. Yes, ladies he is THAT good. He has also begun talking to the audience. He chats with the band members - only Roger and Grady are still a bit stunned with this. He is having as much fun on the stage as we are in the pit.

Another wonderful thing about last night - the audience was there for Boland. He was able to stand back from the mic and allow us to sing a chorus or two of several songs. He told us while we sounded ok, we should probably try drinking some more. =D

There was only one fight that I saw. Hell, the band started just playing their instruments and watched as security broke it up. I think they played the chorus of Shot Full of Holes at least 5 times while watching security. Boland mocked the people fighting, told them to just have another beer and enjoy the music. His words not as colorful as his buddy Cody's, but still funny.

Anywho, if you ever get the chance to hang with the Stragglers - I strongly suggest it.

Long days and pleasant nights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I don't remember any cornbread and goulosh when I visited. Oh wait, there was Negra Modelo - awesome ... did that sound too west coast?>!

Cuz'n S in AL

tsweeten said...

I had the distinct pleasure of listening to BOTH Jason Boland and Cody Canada (he of the Cross Canadian Ragweed) together every Wednesday for about a year. They used to play an acoustic set at Joe's back in the day when I was a bouncer at that fine establishment. Their absolute most rockin' song was a duet of Seven Spanish Angels...in fact, they knew they would have to play it every Wednesday because I wouldn't leave them alone until they did.

Yeah, Cain's is in a scary part of town but its still a rockin' joint. I caught Gov't Mule there years ago and they rocked the joint most hard.