Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fun with Friends

The wait is over. Yesterday around 3pm CST Steve and I reintroduced ourselves and the fun began.

I remember Steve as a thoughtful much older and wiser person than myself. He was always more serious than the younguns such as me. Oh my has he changed. He seems to be more blue now. Much like me, yet nothing like me. He was instantly my BFC you might say. We spent the next few hours catching up on each others lives over the last couple of decades. He has had an interesting life. He has traveled the world. Met exotic people. Worked with the wisest this universe has to offer. To make up for my much more humble life, I took him to the station. The hope was that the mere introduction to my BFFrank would make me look at least comparably cool to Steve. It almost worked.

By the time the rest of the family arrived, Steve and I were actually exchanging inside jokes that only the two of us understood. We were planning visits to Birmingham. I love that town. I had already fallen in love with Chloe - Steve's wonderful puppy. How was I to know that I was about to totally break this wonderful man's spirit?

Uncle NT and Aunt Joy were the first to arrive after Steve. They have lived in Central America since before time began or the early 1960's if you're keeping track. In fact that's where they raised the two most wonderful Dellinger Men on Earth. (feel free to place on your mud waders at any time) Jeff was the last to arrive. He actually arrived twice. Steve chased down another man thinking it was his brother. Fortunately the man only gave Steve an odd look. Once we found the correct Jeff, the next phase of fun began.



I have the most childhood memories of Jeff and Steve and Patty and me. Turns out it takes all four of our memories to get an accurate memory. Anyone thinking about the killer Clown yet? Anywho. While Steve lives in a town that I love and also adores dogs, Jeff has other similarities with my character. Jeff loves baseball. Manages to make his work schedule around major league games. He has been married and divorced. Has children. Dislikes children for all the same reasons I have. (Nicole can give them to you if you really need to ask) Well, you get the point. Somehow after all these years, we still have a lot of similarities. Odd don't you think? Odd and wonderful, I think. I'm already hoping a trip to Tucson can be arranged - around a baseball game of course.


I'll just ask, aren't we adorable? How can we all be this damn adorable and not one drop of DNA matching in the trio? We had a wonderful evening - gathered in Uncle NT and Aunt Joy's room for some family discussion. Then said goodnight to them. The three of us hung out for a while after that. Today we made the trek "home." We will spend the next three days reconnecting with the rest of the extended family. Hopefully we'll be able to avoid the "evil" cousins.

That's all I'm really allowed to say at this time. We done some mighty powerful bonding and I truly hope it sticks. Hoping this begins the long journey to the Tower of a new KaTet.

Long Days and Very Pleasant Nights.

No comments: