Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I was blind, but now I see

Is it true? Could I have been so deeply ground into the longing I had for the return of my rose-colored glass world (aka: The Clinton Administration) and so gravely frightened by the leader of the group taking us straight to Armageddon (aka: #43 and the Moral Majority) that I honestly missed a truly great band when it was introduced to me? Had I truly forgotten the face of my father? How in the name of Eld could this have happened?
Please walk with me down this very alarming path of the beam.
Sunday night, May 27, 2007 I highly recommended that my sister and brother-in-law attend a concert that I wasn’t particularly interested in attending. The ticket was only $20. I knew that Jimmy would like the music. They, from what I gather, are very southern rock in the Leonard Skynard way. I truly like Skynard and so does Jimmy.
That morning began rather gloomy with rain and well lots of rain. The concert was to be outdoors at an amphitheater. Daddy and Jimmy worked on my car. Patty and I returned to her home and anxiously watched the radar on the Weather Channel and various local stations. Ok, I also had an ice cream and two hotdogs to alleviate the anxiety. To our surprise the sun did come out. I felt as though I was in that wonderful story – All Summer In A Day… the author’s name has long been forgotten.
Back to the concert day, when we arrived we parked a long distance away assuming that we couldn’t find a place close. We were wrong. However, to our surprise and my delight, the line at the gate was literally a quarter of a mile, at least. We settled in for the long wait to get in. Commenting on the fact that the Chamber of Commerce probably had no idea how big a name they had actually acquired or that running spots on Texas radio would actually pay off. Another happy surprise came when a security guy told us of a shortcut to get in if we already had tickets, which we did. I might note that it was sometime around me hearing – shorter line this way and well nothing else that Patty decided to hand me one of the tickets. It seems I actually took off running. SOWISA babyluv.
I could hear a voice I recognized resonating from the stage. I knew I would be hearing Robert Earl – but to my great pleasure I was hearing Stoney! Pray yer forgiveness of Jimmy and Patty that they did not recognize the presence they were about to be in.
Ok we get in the gates and encounter what can only be called pure MUD. It was awesome. I was almost ankle deep in it at one time. We settled Patty in to her lawn chair and Jimmy and I were off in search of what the gods drink at these palavar’s. We got a bargain. Only paid $25 for a 6 pack of 16oz cans. Not to mention the highway robbery for water - $3 per bottle. Who the smuck needs water?
At some point Patty and I made it over to the souvenir line. Yes, I now have a t-shirt other then JB&S to wear at the JB&S concerts. We also had one of Jimmy’s cousins take this picture of us. Aren’t we cute?
Robert Earl was awesome. I wasn’t let down. Thanky sai Jo. While we were in the t-shirt line he sang Feliz Navidad. I had no idea that was his song, but have loved it for years. Again, thanky sai Jo.
Then came the main attraction.
I had completely decided to forget the Jesus Loving Freak song that I had heard a few years back. Really, would Jo love a band as much as she loves this one if they were JLF’s? I don’t think so. She has played enough PFG and other groups for me to think that. I settled into my own lawn chair and paid attention. Cody rocked. Yes I said it. He really caught my attention when he plainly stated that whoever had thrown that beer at him had better drink his smucking beer or he would kick his ass. From that point on he had me. Should I say, “He had me from I’ll kick your smucking ass?” We didn’t stay for the whole show, beg pardon sai Jo. We did see an hour and a half and I did hear Boys from Oklahoma. And I’m seriously considering buying their latest CD. They have a new one due out in October. I'll pre-order it.
Long Days and Pleasant Nights to Ye…

1 comment:

JoJo said...

just played blog catch up - and while your other two entries were good - this one was borderline great! I don't know if you caught it - but there is a new song on the new album called "when will it end" which i'm almost positive is about the war & at the end he says "bring em home"... thought your democrat blood would enjoy that!
And yes, Cody Smucking Rocks! See, I prepared for you a good bool! It was a good long bool and while it took you a long time to find all the stations - i'm glad you finally made it. Did you find the note under your chair? It said: 377 BOOL! THE END!