Monday, April 21, 2008

Sleeping with the Lights On...

Only the true Constant Reader can appreciate sleeping with the lights on.

The last time I remember actually being afraid of the dark was the night Gina gave birth to Justin. We were only 16 or 17. I brought a book to the hospital to read during the wait. It happened to be the latest paperback release of my then and now favorite writer. The name of the book was Salem's Lot. I slept with the lights on for weeks. I also remember making someone accompany me to my car, because it was dark. I closed the windows and never opened the door to anyone after dark.

I finished Duma Key at 1:16am. I know because I looked at the clock when I clicked on the lamp. I had read with the overhead light on. It seemed silly to leave it on the whole night. The funny thing is I began in the living room. Millie demanded we go to bed sometime around midnight. My normal routine is to turn out all the lights and hop in bed. Last night I started to do just that. Then just couldn't make my hand turn the lamp off until I had the bedroom light on. All I can say to that is WOW. Then I kept waking up and seeing dead people with moss on them standing in my bedroom. I think I actually woke myself up talking to one of them.

The fact that I couldn't put the book down didn't surprise me. That's par for the course with SK. There have been books that I trudged thru. My thoughts are he actually let Tabitha ghost write on a couple. Anywho, the vast majority of his work are nail-biters. Duma Key didn't let me down.

Will it make my top 5 list? Maybe si, maybe no. He did dis one of my favorite singers. I couldn't believe he used "Toby Keith" and "shitty country music" in the same sentence. But then, he is the King and this is fiction...

Long days and pleasant nights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but laugh at you. I used to be the same way. but have learned over the yrs. to not read the scary stuff, esp. SK

JoJo said...

Pat Green has a song called "sleeping with lights on" - just sayin