Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Daddy!


January 13, 1943 in Yakima Washington, Vernon Z and Martha E Smith became the parents of the greatest man I know.


My daddy was the second of 5 children. Being the oldest son gave him the birthrite to the Zentner name. A name which has become beloved in the family.


My daddy has always been there for me. When I was allowed to join the Speech and Debate team in high school, he became the parent that went on trips. That meant that he had to be on a school bus with anywhere from 10 or more teenagers from 4am until after midnight on the weekend. After having a teenager, I understand the sacrifice he made.


He was also in the room when my baby girl was born. One of my clearest memories of that day was telling Daddy that I was tired and wanted to go home. He sighed and calmly said "Sug if I could take you home, you know I would, but you have to do this first." Jeff and I were grossed out by the bloody mess... but my Daddy stood over the doctors shoulder making sure he was doing everything right and then gave the baby her first bath.


After the divorce, when I called and said that I was going out of my mind, Daddy drove to Pryor and took me to a doctor in Ft Smith to make sure I was ok.


They don't make Daddy's like this anymore. He taught me to respect God, country, family. He taught me that family always comes first, no matter how difficult it is to be there, physically or emotionally. He is always there for me and my sisters with an unconditional love. I love him more than words can ever tell.


We are celebrating tonight at his favorite place to eat - Golden Corral.


Long days and pleasant nights

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad was born in Yakima, Washington