Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 - Please be Kind

Well another year is gone. It seems like just yesterday I was a kid in McAlester. Cheering in the new year with my friends and then running like hell to get away from the "birthday love" swats. Jimmy Dean was always in the lead on that one...

Now I'm sitting here in my kitchen with the puppies and kitten.

Looking back on 2008, it could've been better.

It was the first full year without Nannie. Uncle Louis left us. We had a small adjustment of personnel at the station. Friends also left... David, Emma Lou and Colt.

On the up side, if there is one. It was definately the year that it was a good thing to not be heavily invested in the stock market. Being poor was actually better than having stocks or being a high class banker, CEO of almost anything or one of the "expendable" persons in a company choking on it's own bad investments.

And one of the brightest points of 2008 was getting re-acquainted with a few cousins that time had gotten away from us. Jeff, Steve, Louie, Droopy.

My first ever trip to the desert happened in June of 2008. Astonishingly Jeff actually welcomed the idea that I might be coming again to see my Redbirds play his Dbacks. It was also weird that I was the only "Dellinger" his family and friends had met outside his parents and brother.

There are two jewels of the year that standout. My new relationship with my Tio NT. He is a true blessing. I enjoy every communication with him, whether it be a quick note letting me know he is on his way to some meeting or a lengthy email about his thoughts.

The other is the addition of Oprah Mae to the family. I've never been a cat person, nor has Millie. But O has really stolen our hearts. She was born a poor black girl in a barn on the Mazie Prairie. Colt appointed himself as her protector so how could I continue to say no to her moving in with us? Millie can no longer innocently walk around without having a kitten pouncing on her.

2009 - please be a little easier than the your predecessor. My baby girl will graduate with her BA in History and Teaching Certificate. I will gain a son this year. I am praying to just keep the status quo...

Long days and pleasant nights, if ye kenit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sunshine

JoJo said...

i like it.... yes 2009, please be kind...