Sunday, April 29, 2007

Where the F@*% is Boland?


Calf Fry 2007 has come and gone. For the most part is was a fun time. I missed Pat, sorry PFG, and CCRW, again sorry, but what I did see was truly spectacular.

More on what I missed… Seems that Thursday night after I left some chick picked a fight with Jo and well, Jo ended it. Then Friday night some chick deliberately poured beer on Jo’s head, twice. Well, that did NOT go over well. From what I hear Security was called and psycho chick minded her manners after that. Saturday night Jo truly was a “Rock Star” literally, many drunks were high fiving her because they had witnessed the bar brawl from the previous night. The good news is that a couple of the impressed males were actually cute – as Missy would say. =)

Now to what I witnessed: Saturday began very well. We had a drink, then ate our share of testicles and drank some more. Johnny Cooper began the day. Sorry no pics of him, he is all of 12 and for a white boy, he had a nice afro, not to mention the 1970’s style sunglasses that were two sizes too big and his grandpa, dad and two great uncles were on stage as his band. The kid can sing though and actually made an old Barbara Mandrel song rock. Keep your eyes on him, once he reaches puberty he might be something. Then No Justice took the stage. I’ve liked them the other two or three times I’ve seen them. They are good musicians and really pretty too! Next came Kevin Fowler, I always forget that I really like Fowler. He is very country, very funny, and ROCKS.

Ok, so the night has been fun, we’ve drank our share of Stillwater 3.2 water. We’ve been primed for the main attraction, the crowd is going wild, I’ve had to pee for at least an hour but afraid to lose my spot – so I sucked it up and took it like a true Boland fan. Then Boland is introduced, the crowd is going wild – a man that looks like Boland comes on stage. Something odd – he has this, uhm smile (I use that term loosely) on his face. I thought “Oh he is happy to be home” turns out, he really tried to smile all the way thru his set. It was so very painful to watch. If you closed your eyes you knew you were in the presence of the man, but when you opened your eyes again, well that alien was on stage. It seemed as though Jo and I were the only people there that noticed this. Classic Boland comes out on stage, sings his songs, smokes his cigarettes and the only movement is to go get a drink of beer or take a shot of jager being offered by a fan. Where the hell did this dancing around, smiling, really creepy guy come from? All the way home I was perplexed over it. Perhaps his new label is having him try new things, or perhaps it was the rehab. My money is on the wife. Marriage is a really bad thing and this is proof. He had no cigarette and no beer. There is nothing on http://www.thestragglers.com/ site to indicate any of these changes. His music is still the BEST, he still sounds the same, so I encourage you to buy The Bourbon Legend if you haven't yet. And if he is in your neighborhood, please go see the Ghost haunting the honky-tonk's because he really is doing it the way Hank did. You will be well met indeed. I’ll have to take a leave of absence and begin following him around to get to the bottom of this.

But first I’m going to eat lunch, and read some more of Lisey’s Story.

Long Days and Pleasant Nights to ye…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.