Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm No Republican... but...

Ok, so Jo sent me an email that I barely even looked at other than to see that at the end it said something like contact your elected officials, here's what you should say... Since it came from Jo, I figured I had better do it or I would most definately be hearing about it for at least the rest of my life. So, I did it and received an automated response, or so I thought. We were semi-impressed. For those of you who haven't seen it, I actually have a letter written to me and signed by then President Bill Clinton, helps to be persistent in your correspondence. Anywho, tonight when I opened my email, to my astonishment, I actually had a reply from Congressman Sullivan talking about the issue I sent. WOW! So here it is...

April 18, 2007
Ms. Tammie Kolker
7251 South 92nd East Avenue, Apartment 8
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
Dear Tammie,
Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the decision by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) regarding the determination of rates and terms for webcasting. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On March 2, 2007 the CRB, a federal agency created by the United States Congress, was tasked with updating royalty compensation rates for music performers which expired at the end of 2005. These updated and subsequently increased royalty fees are to be paid by Internet Radio stations for streaming music during the years 2006-2010. The CRB's three-judge panel, created to set digital music royalty rates, decided to increase the rates retroactive to 2006 for companies that stream music over the Internet. The increase will apply to small and large broadcasters alike, as well as Internet simulcasts of traditional over-the-air radio stations.

Currently, Internet broadcasters must pay royalties for the use of a song to music publishing organizations like the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Broadcast Media, Inc. (BMI) for the public performance rights to the song itself. Additionally, they must also pay royalties that compensate the performers of the music. However, traditional over-the-air broadcasters are only required to pay for the performance rights to a song. They are not required to pay royalties to performers. The CRB's decision to raise the music performer compensation royalties, which only Internet broadcasters must pay, is creating what some perceive as an unfair imbalance in an environment where the ultimate goal should be an ability for Americans to have fair access to music, while allowing those with legitimate intellectual property rights just compensation.

As a result of this decision, parity in radio rates has come in to focus and been addressed in Congressional hearings regarding the direction of the future of radio. As a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee, I too am a proponent of innovation and share your belief that we should accelerate technological advancement in a fair and balanced manner. As issues regarding the future of radio come before me, I will keep your thoughts in mind and continue to fight for technological progress, innovation, and fairness.It is an honor to serve you in Washington. If you would like more information on this issue, or would like to share your thoughts with me via e-mail, you may visit my website at sullivan.house.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me again should you have further concerns on federal legislation or programs.

No comments: