Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Blessings

A week like this makes me stop and think and count all my blessings. It’s only Wednesday and already the week seems to be sooo long.

Monday was the next to last radiation treatment on Nannie. I had the privilege of having lunch with her, Patty and Jimmy. It isn’t every 41 year-old person that can say she had lunch with her Grandmother, and they weren’t at a nursing home. I am blessed to still have my Nannie. She still lives on the farm in the home she’s had since, oh I think the year I was born. Her mind is sharper than mine and her health is pretty damn good for someone that has been around 85 years.

Then the shooting at the college in Virginia happened. Of course the first thing I did was call Nicole. Then after I found out the second person killed was a resident assistant trying to protect a resident, and the building where the worse part of the shootings took place was an Engineering building, well, I almost sat down and cried.

I am blessed to have a wonderful, strong-willed, intelligent daughter that is a perfect fit as a Resident Assistant. Another blessing is that her soul mate is equally, if not more intelligent and an Engineering student that actually attends those 8am classes. So naturally my mind goes to the “what-if it were OU” mode.

Then, yesterday, OU is placed on full lock-down because a person was seen carrying a suspicious object. Ryan was in class when this happened – early morning class – he called Nicole and suggested (you don’t “tell” Nicole anything) that she stay in her room. Another Blessing – Ryan. Fortunately, it was only an umbrella; everyone is on pins and needles right now.

Last evening Nannie called me, she was a bit upset. She had an eye appointment today in Tulsa that she had already rescheduled once or twice and there was no one to take her. She apologized for calling me, however, I have told her time and again that she can always call me. What else is vacation time for? Anyway, I had another blessing, more valuable time with my Nannie. We had a wonderful time. Even had lunch at the Cracker Barrel.

Wonder what blessings tomorrow will bring…

No comments: