Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Gunslinger Born

I was married to a comic book collector for 10 years and never understood the NEED to have comic books on at least a monthly basis and most of the time, a weekly basis. I never understood the addiction and the strength that addiction has over ones soul. That is I never understood the addiction until approximately 3 weeks ago. Upon reading the first Dark Tower edition released by Marvel Comics, I seriously couldn’t wait until the next one came out. I had actually placed the books back in their plastic covers and placed them in a place where no harm would come to them. Then I caught myself doing the strangest thing, I would take the books out and just look at them. Just hold them and absorb the whole “Kingness” of them. Do ya kennit?

The realization of my addiction hit tonight. I found out earlier in the day that our supplier had delivered the latest volume. If I did not go fetch my copy tonight, it would be a week before I could get it. So what do I do? Of course I rush home from work, walk and feed the dachsies, feed myself and drive off to Claremore. It wasn’t just any drive. I had to drive in a weird April Snow storm. I calmly waited outside a movie theater where the transaction was to take place, in the freezing snow. I have never felt more like a junkie in my life. And yet, I am confident that this won’t be the last time I go to extremes for my SK fix.

Go Your Course In Peace...

No comments: