Tuesday, November 21, 2006

To Bark or Not To Bark...

Dachshunds bark. That is a fact. Anyone who has ever met a dachshund knows this. They are GIANT sized dogs in small bodies. So, why would the person that has lived next to the most wonderful dachshunds in all of Tulsa for months say that they bark “24/7”?
I know they don’t bark when I’m at home, with the exception of the times that someone is knocking at the door (pizza delivery) or someone is running up or down the stairs. (neighbors) They have exceptional hearing and if they hear someone outside (neighbors), well, they must let that person know that this apartment is indeed very well protected. But now, I’m a bit afraid of being homeless at Christmas. Not a place I want to be. I went online in search of remedies for the “barking” situation. Shock collars are out because I really don’t want to do that to the babies and they are damn expensive. Next, I happened across an interesting method that someone like Carolyn would try, so you guessed it, I’m trying it.
The Empty Soda Can Trick
Here’s how it works: “Clean out an empty soda (pop) can, put enough coins in it to make a loud noise when you shake it, tape the opening shut, and you have a great deterrent to bad behavior! Don't shake it a lot, just a couple of shakes when they are doing the bad behavior followed with a "No!" They get the message and stop right away. Now all I have to do is reach for the "bad boy" can and Baxter stops whatever he is not supposed to be doing. I must admit, he has grown into one of the most well behaved dogs I have ever known, so the "bad boy" can doesn’t get used very much.”
I found an empty can that hasn’t be crushed yet, placed pennies in it and then taped them in. The first test WORKED! We’ll see if it lasts. Of course I’ll have to teach them how to use it on one another while I’m at work, this will keep them from barking 24/7 or at least while I’m at work.

Honestly, do these look like horrible neighbors to you?

No comments: