Wednesday, November 15, 2006

For the Good Times...


Kris Kristofferson has always identified himself first and foremost as a writer, and true writers know that what works best is giving a piece of themselves to the listener. In fact, he even told God that he is a songwriter, evidently the jury is still out on whether or not God believes him.

Jo and I had the most incredible experience last night. It can only be described as Spiritual. Actually, it can’t be described. But, let me begin at the beginning…

A couple of weeks ago I’m sitting at my desk, working, when Jo pops up on the screen asking if we are doing anything with Kris Kristofferson. Confused, I asked if he was coming to town and when. She, of course knew and moments later we actually had tickets to go!
The tickets we had stated the show began at 8pm. It was natural for Jo to be shocked when she arrived a good hour and a half before show time and there was a substantial line. Not a familiar site in Tulsa. I get there a little later. I have a raging headache that goes all the way to the middle of my back. Of course she is Orange and I’m blue, neither of us have a bit of Gold so no Ibuprofen. We tailgate for a few minutes and then go in, get a candy bar and M&M’s, a couple of beverages and find our seats. The fact that it is 7:30ish is on our minds, but we still settle in and are in awe of the stage. It only has a music stand, a guitar stand and a mic stand. Again, not a familiar sight.

So, we were very surprised and pleased when a man came onto the stage to announce that there had been a printing error on the tickets. Half the people think that the show started at 7:30 while the other half (us) think it begins at 8. The best part: Kris came on 15 minutes or so early – took a 20 minute break at some point – left the stage for the final time at 10:15. We had no opening band or a backup band. Just Kris and us. If you weren’t there, you do not know the essence of what you missed. During the show I was healed from all my pain. Really, it was gone. I sat in my seat and soaked in Kris.

He is truly a gift to all of us. I wish I were better with words and could describe what we experienced last night. From Bobby McGee to Why Me Lord to Sunday Morning Coming Down and so many wonderful tunes in between he had the crowd of 1500 or so captivated. Ok there was the one drunken lady that kept making propositions…

We did do the nerdy things like call people and say, OMG Kris is right there singing to us! We are in the same building with him! And then realized we were talking while he was singing, and well frankly were afraid of being stricken by lightening. So the cell phones went off – and we made more calls during the break. A break that only a man of his caliber can take during a show.


You can see the one usable pic I took. Jo had the better camera and I pray the pics are good. You see, he was the Man In Black last night. He wore all black with a completely black stage and a single spot light coming from above.

I’ll stop rambling now, but you really don’t know what you missed.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

great review.... i'm just going to link to yours - since i havent had time to gush & it's all i've wanted to blog about since!!!!! Least WE know a good thing when we hear it!