Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's the Small Things...

It really is the small things that make you happy.

A trip to the Hill Country with a "best" friend and two "good" friends. A surprise email from a favorite uncle - a joke that is totally unexpected from him. The sun rising in the morning. Puppies to cuddle up with. Friends to share a laugh...


Today, the folks I work with are getting a good laugh at my "expense" you might say. About a month ago I noticed that my fridge wasn't working so well. So my younger sister and brother-in-law brought me a fridge that they had used until inheriting another one. The new-to-me fridge had been in retirement since November 8, 2007, not to mention it is over 30 years old. I tried to bring it out of retirement and it fought my decision, and it won. Today, the Lowe's truck backed into my drive and I have a brand new, fresh out of the box - refrigerator!


Until you have lived without a freezer, you don't know the joy of being able to cook and freeze! Or going to the grocery store and not avoiding the Meat section.

This has been a very rough year. I'm not speaking of the physical year, I'm talking about the year beginning Sept 29, 2007. I can't remember a time when so many people I've known intimately or "well" have gone to the clearing at the end of the path. The latest to say goodbye to are Uncle David and Emma Lou - both are missed more than words can express.

We need the small things to keep us distracted and help us to move on in a world that is moving on regardless of what we want. So I stand in front of my new refrigerator and thank Gan that I am able to enjoy this small thing.

Go then there are other worlds than these...

1 comment:

JoJo said...

little rays of sunshine...