Friday, November 16, 2007

Garth Visit...

The annual Thanksgiving meal at the station was yesterday. The way it plays out is the station buys the meat. Everyone else signs up to bring food. If you don't want to cook you can pay $5 for the meal. All proceeds go to our Education partner - Park Elementary. This year I opted to cook.

I felt that after that weekend in September with Nannie, I can bake anything. That is the funniest thought I believe I've had in a very long time. Raisin pie and Blackberry cobbler - almost totally from scratch were included in the meal yesterday. The only difficulties I had were that the cobbler had no top crust. Who knew it would fall? The only variation from Nannie's recipes (and strict instructions) was that I used Splenda in lieu of sugar. No one noticed that difference. Both were heartily eaten. I'm sure that they weren't enjoyed solely due to my standing over the dessert table, pointing out what I had made (from scratch) and insisting they be added to the each individual plate. Pictures of the dishes were taken, however, I can't figure out Nicole's camera so that will have to wait for another day.

This morning when I arrived at work, I was caught in the coffee room staring at one of the morning guests. I honestly thought that I was back in the early 1990's. Garth (young Garth) walked in to get a cup of water. I was pretty sure that no alcohol had been added to my oatmeal or coffee before coming to work. I looked around and Trisha wasn't there. It was odd. Turns out this gentleman has been named the "Best Garth Look-Alike" in all of America - supposedly by Garth himself. Honestly, I paid attention to the song he sang on the show. Not that impressed. Once you've seen the man himself perform, well let me just say, he is not duplicatable. (hope that's a word.)

OK, off to find more to do...

Long Days and Pleasant Nights.

No comments: