Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oprah Mae's Big Adventure

I have said this before, I'm not a cat person. To prove that - my "cat" has turned into a pup-cat-coon.

She has been going outside with Millie and Toby when they get their potty times. The past couple of weeks I've even become brave enough to let her stay outside alone with her sister while I take a shower and get ready for the work day.

This morning I heard Millie do her "MOMMA THERE IS A CAT WITHIN MY EYE SIGHT YOU NEED TO COME KILL IT" scream. So I went running. I didn't want one of the neighbor cats getting my Oprah Mae. Well, by the time I made it to the back door, Toby, Millie and Oprah Mae were looking at me like I was a bit too over protective.

When I got out of the shower, Toby and Millie were on the bed looking at me. This was odd because Millie rarely leaves Oprah Mae outside alone.

I looked outside, no Oprah. No alarm, she was probably behind the shed in the compost. So I dressed a little faster than normal. Looked out the back door, still no Oprah. Made a bowl of cereal - surely she is on the side of the house. Went outside with my cereal calling Oprah Mae. Normally when she hears me call I will see her running to me, or at the very least telling me she isn't ready to come in.

Not behind the shed or under the lawnmower cover or on the side of the house. Slight panic. Look under the bed - she loves to hide from me. Nowhere in the house.

I am really panicking at this point. Send Nanna a 911 - Oprah is Gone! text. Put the phone down and start looking in the neighbor's yard. She was looking at the the Big Woods next door. When I saw her she had her back to me. I said, calmly - Oprah Mae what are you doing? She froze - slowly turned to look at me - got that deer in the headlight look - ran right past me to the back gate of our yard. Couldn't figure out how to get back in the yard - ran under the front porch. I'm seriously considering having her chat with Strait. He could tell her what happens when you try to run after obviously doing something your mommy thinks is wrong.

I sat down and wiggled my fingers. She couldn't resist coming out for a "good pupcatcoon" scratch on her head. Our trip back into the house was something from a comic. Me carrrying Bill the Cat all 4 legs spread wide to avoid being taken to the killing chambers. Not to mention that for a cat that never stops talking she hadn't made a sound until we were on our way inside. Then the sound was like she really was being taken to the gas chamber.

At lunch, I let her venture back out again. I had suspected that she went thru the gate/fence opening. So I made it where she couldn't do that again. Proof that I was right came when she tried pushing her head thru mesh and it wouldnt go. She was so upset that she went back inside and pouted. Needless to say, the door was closed. Millie began pouting because I made her come in with Oprah.

Someone asked if I spanked her. Well, if it had been Millie or Toby the answer would have been yes. Don't go calling PETA quite yet. A slap on the bottom isn't puppy abuse. It does work in extreme cases with them. However, cats are different. You see, Oprah Mae didn't do anything wrong, I did. She was simply taking advantage of the opportunity to chase flying things on the other side of the fence. I failed to notice she woke up as a cat today.

Long days and pleasant nights...

No comments: