Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hit it Over the Fence

That's my boy!!!

Saturday I made the trek to McAlester to see Hayden play "real" baseball. He is in a coach-pitch league. This is his first year.

The only sad thing about the game was that I had to cheer for a Cub. But I was resigned to cheer for him even if he had a NY on his uniform. He played right field, or in coach pitch, he stood between the first and second base players - next to one of the dad's.

His first at bat - he looked at me and said "Aunt Tammie, I'm gonna hit it over the fence." Then he ran off to the plate. He did indeed hit the ball pretty hard. He made it to 2nd base! I could see a lot of Albert Pujols in him. He was the rebel. When he was tired of wearing his ball cap - he went to bat without it. But had his sunglasses on.

I'll never forget the moment Skylar and I realized Hayden could throw from both arms equally well. I honestly don't know who was more excited - Skylar or me. We decided we would work on "our" boy and make sure he made it at least to college level. Switch hitters are very valuable in the bigs. My promise to Skylar on Jan 23 was that I would do whatever I could to help Hayden get to the college level. Or at least love baseball as much as he and I.

Long days and pleasant nights...

2 comments:

Irene said...

And I hope for Hayden's sake, you stand by that promise! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.