Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sleepers

One of my all time favorite movies is named Sleepers. It is about 4 boys that play a prank that goes terribly wrong. They are sent to juvenile detention and are brutally raped almost every night by the guards. They are eventually released and grow up. One becomes an attorney, one a newspaper reporter, the other two total thugs that found a gang. Chance brings them back together to avenge the destruction of their youth by taking down the lead horrible guard.

My cards are considered a non-contention this season by almost everyone. Today I was delivering the stations copy of Sports Illustrated to Lincoln's mailbox via my desk, and discovered that SI considers the Cards a "sleeper" team this year.

All their so-called sports experts say that the Cubs will go to the play-offs again this year as the NL Central winners. They do not even place the Cards in the Wild Card spot. Which gives me room to say, that Wild Card is the stupidest thing that has happened in baseball in over a century! Let me just say at this point that I do have the right to recant that last sentence in October.

In the light that the Cards are now recognized for what I have been saying since last October - I actually accepted a bet on baseball. This goes against all my principles. I never ever gamble. But this really isn't a gamble and I'm not Pete Rose. Linda (our account director) has until October to save the 25 cents she will owe me when my boys come out of nowhere and teach everyone a lesson.

long days and pleasant night...

No comments: