Monday, February 02, 2009

Change

The whole world has been ecstatic at the "change" 2009 promises to bring.
I was optimistic that the "change" we have been promised would be at the least good. It never occurred to me that dramatic change would happen so close to home.

Last Fall, we had a pretty drastic round of lay-offs. The economy continues to go to Hell In A Handbasket, so to speak. Yet, I have a good job. My company is stable. Life is going on. I bought a new-to-me car. Money has become tight, but manageable.

January 23 I received a phone call that placed everything in perspective. My 23 year-old nephew, Skylar had died. He had simply taken a pill, gone to sleep and never woke up. From then up until the afternoon of January 30, things are a blurr. The afternoon that Skylar died I also received notice that there had been another lay-off. My job is still secure. However, we have taken a pay cut.

During the week going up to the funeral, I had a lot of time to reflect. In that reflection came a lot of argument with my Lord. What came out of the argument was that I am alive and loved. I also have so many memories of Skylar. Last Fall when he introduced me to his latest girlfriend, he said "this is Aunt Tammie - the Coolest Aunt on Earth." The last picture taken of him was snapped by me, just minutes before he hugged me, said "I love you, Aunt Tammie" and walked out the door. That was the day we celebrated Christmas with the extended family. He was so happy that for the first time ever he had enough money to give his boys what he considered a very nice Christmas. That was the last time I saw him alive.

The point of this day's blog... We are still alive. We still have two beautiful young boys that are so very much like their daddy. I still have a job. Yes, less money, but a job. I still have a home, 2 puppies and a kitty that thinks she is a puppy. Make every day matter. Let those close to you know how much you love them. We don't have a guarantee that there will be a tomorrow. We can guarantee that those we love will always know we love them.

Long days and pleasant nights...

2 comments:

Irene said...

Thanks for posting good memories of Skylar!

JoJo said...

carpe diem - well said