Thursday, November 05, 2009

Good Girl Millie...

Today at lunch I was on the couch trying my best to take a power nap. Toby and Millie had just settled in when Millie jumped up and ran to the window. She looked out into the backyard and barked once then turned and looked at me.

My reply was simply, go outside and see what's there. So she did. The back door was open since it was such a beautiful day and I thought the kritters needed some fresh air.

Once outside I heard two more short and distinct barks. They weren't barks alerting me to the fact that there was a cat in the yard, or Dopey was running the fence line or even that the neighbors were outside. No, these were new barks that I had never heard. So naturally I had to go investigate.

The first thing I noticed was Millie standing by the gate with her tail on point and "talking" in the direction of the neighbors front yard. The second thing I noticed was that the piece of wood keeping Oprah Mae in our yard was lying on the ground. It only took 30 seconds to figure out that the black panther had escaped! The whole 30 seconds I was looking in Oprah Mae's favorite hunting spots, Millie stayed on point. Please understand that is a very long time for my rather A.D.D. dachshund.

I found Oprah Mae "hunting" in the front yard under a tree. When I brought her back in Millie chased her around the house for a couple of minutes literally growling at her. I guess that was her way of scolding her for leaving the yard without permission. After all she gets in trouble for doing that!

Yes, Millie received two treats for this job well done!

Long days and pleasant nights...

No comments: