Friday, November 13, 2009

Family Matters

The thing about family is that we don't get to choose them. Saying you don't belong to a family you were born into doesn't make it so.

This past year has been especially difficult for my family. We lost my dad's brother, the second sibling he has buried. It doesn't get easier with time or age. Both my Aunt Nova and Uncle Louis were younger than my dad. He just always assumed that they would bury him.

In January we lost the oldest of my parents grandchildren. Skylar was only 23. Probably the most difficult funeral any of us has attended. Then came the news that Mom has bladder cancer. That battle began in March.

The last day of August Daddy had a pretty major stroke. His memory and physical abilities have been greatly reduced by the stroke. He is doing ok, but every day is still a struggle.

Mom's surgery to remove her bladder went off ok. The cancer is gone, but she has had some issues with the actual healing part. Patty and I have learned enough about nursing to know that neither of us want to ever be one.

Jimmy and I both have had very stressful work experiences this year. Patty and Daddy have both now been diagnosed with diabetes...

You may be wondering why I'm bringing all this up... Well, the fact is family is where you go because you know they have to accept you, no matter what. Like I like to say - "we have to love you - God said so..." We all do our best with what we have. No one is perfect, and you can say that for a fact with my wonderfully dysfunctional family.

Thanksgiving is on the horizon. With all the losses and challenges of the last 12 months, I for one am really looking forward to finding the things to be Thankful for.

Long days and pleasant nights...

No comments: