Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is just a couple days away. As promised, I have compiled a list of things to be thankful for this year:

A "new" child. This was one of the easiest ways of getting a second child. I watched Ryan grow from teenage to adulthood alongside my daughter. Now he is officially my "son" and for that I am thankful.

Parents. My parents have had a rough year - yet out of sheer determination or stubborness they have come out on the other side of the bad. Mom is beginning to heal, even if it is slower than she wants. Dad is still mobile and able to care for himself and Mom. He even went deer hunting with Jimmy.

Sisters. My sisters are my grounding. Each has her own way of keeping me in "check" and showing the love that only a sister knows. Being in the middle I get the best of both worlds - I am the younger and the older sister. Each of us are on our own journey - yet we are never far away from each others paths - for the good and the bad. For that I am thankful.

Friends. You don't get to choose your family - friends some say you choose, I disagree with that. Friendships evolve over time. There are few you will have for the lifelong journey. I can count on one hand those that are on the ride for the long haul. There are a couple that have even been named officially as "family." You know the numbers you can call at 3am and the phone will be picked up. You know who you are and I love you very much and am very thankful you have chosen me as your friend.

Extended Family. Life since October 2007 has been a roller coaster for my extended family. We have re-established relationships that literally went from childhood to adulthood with no real evolution. On my dad's side we really only saw most of the extended family at holidays and funerals. That is now changing and I'm thankful for the cousins that I have. On mom's side we all grew up together. Things are changing on that side as well. New bonds are being established while there is still work on my end with others. Nicole was the one that pointed out how "lucky" I am a year ago. She never realized how many first cousins I have. She knew the Dellinger side but had never met most of the Smith's.

Employment. Another rough area in my life. But I am still employed. The station is at the top of my list of my favorite jobs. I am thankful for a wonderful workplace with a group of great people.

Here's hoping you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and find at least 5 things to be thankful for.

Long days and pleasant nights to ye...

No comments: