Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rocktober is HERE!


Let's just say that up until literally this week I haven't been too interested in the notion of the MLB Playoffs or World Series. Why? Well let's just say that I didn't (and still don't) think some of the participants were "real" MLB teams.

Let me do some 'splainin'. After the awesomeness of the MLB in the 1970's, baseball went thru a very bleak period. It was during the 1980's that we saw two major league player strikes. One of them affected the playoffs and World Series. My team was winning the race at the midway point that year. Then after the strike they were eliminated. The strike being the deciding factor. That is also the decade that saw Pete Rose permanently banned from the Hall of Fame for gambling. These were very dark days. We had no single team or player that stood out and caught the love of the fans. It seemed that everything MLB had been was gone. Not to mention the sky-rocketing prices at the pro-ballparks. A family could no longer afford to spend an afternoon or evening enjoying America's sport.


So in the early 1990's the MLB commission decided that to get more fans to attend, they would just add 4 more teams. Technically they only added three. The Washington Senators were reborn in that decision.


So to get to my lack of interest this year. Back in 1993 the first season of the "new" Colorado Rockies. I vehemently denied them access to my television for the years that followed. Then a few years ago, maybe 2 or 3, they bought the Tulsa Drillers. This is a team that I truly enjoy watching. It's baseball at its best. Still, I refused to acknowledge the Rockies. Then, Tuesday, Oct. 16 Chris Lincoln (greatest sportscaster in all of Tulsa) announced that there were eleven Drillers on the Rockies team. WOW! Texas never did that. btw - we can partially thank W. for that.


So I tuned in Tuesday night and watched them whoop up on the Diamond Backs. Who still are not a MLB team in my book. They played solid baseball and what a game. The star of the team is Matt Holliday - born right here in Oklahoma! In fact he is the NL MVP this year! Now hopefully they will kick some Indian butt! At this point I must apologize to Gan's human part - I really don't want the Red Sox to go to the World Series. It's time for the Tribe.


Long days and pleasant nights.

No comments: