Friday, October 30, 2009

Momma's Pumpkin Pie by Tammie

I am not the cook in the family. Patty is by far the best cook of the children. Momma makes the best desserts known to man.

But this week I needed to vent some frustrations. So I bought a pumpkin. cut the top off and gutted it. Then I baked it.

Last night I actually made 100% from scratch pumpkin pie for today's Chilli and bake-off luncheon at work. The last time I made crust was in home-ec when I was in the 8th grade. I was so good at home-ec the principal was forced to transfer me to shop class mid-semester at the urging of my home-ec teacher.

Anyway. Margie once told me that if you can read, you can cook. So I pulled out my Amish cookbook and off we go. First problem, I didn't have a rolling pin. So, off to WalMart to buy that.

Once I began... I really started to feel like my mother. I had the oven on preheat. Dishes in the sink soaking. Laundry going in the washing machine. And the Phillies and Yankees were on the tv. Now all I needed was my dad to yell at. hehe

The pie dough turned out easy enough to make. After all I grew up in the kithens of Granny Mae, Nannie and Momma. The first pie filling was completed and poured. During the mixture of the second pie filling I realized that there was no brown sugar in the first pie. OH NO!!! Well not to worry, while completing the second pie, it dawned on me... I would just add brown sugar to the already poured pie filling... then stir.

Now the pies are cooking. Dishes are in the process of being washed. Clothes have been changed out. The table is almost recognizable. I called my mom. Then Patty. =)

Once the dishes were completed. It was time to begin the chilli for the luncheon. I couldn't stop at just one pot, I had two crockpots full of chilli.

The judging took place and I won!!! My totally organic pumpkin pie made from scratch had beat out the competition. One of the ladies commented that she didn't try it because she thought it was something someone picked up from Tippin's! Woo Hoo. That totally surprised me, because if you could've seen the pie. There is no way you would've thought that crust was store bought.
Long days and pleasant nights...

No comments: