Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving

Better late than never...

It was another Thanksgiving, second in a row, of reflecting on the loss of a family member.

This year we buried my Uncle Louis the day before giving thanks. Nicole went to Topeka with me. I realized just how much I have to be thankful for.

I have lost two important people to me in the last year. I am thankful that neither of them had long, horrible ailments. They were both graciously taken rather quickly and didn't suffer for years.

I also have one of the most incredible children ever. She is very much her own person, however, when she knows I truly need her, wild horses couldn't keep her away. She went with me Wednesday just as she had been there for me a year ago. Then Thursday we really didn't do anything.

I found myself turning into my mother. Up and around by 7:30am. Made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Then baked a pie that turned out to be a 3-step all day process. Washed about 8 loads of Nicole's laundry. (Yes Grannie, her washer and dryer work fine, Ryan just refuses to do her laundry) Embroideried quite a bit. Cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us. Washed dishes what seemed to be all day.

When I commented to her before she left that we hadn't done anything. She just smiled and assured me that this day was exactly what she needed after the toughest semester of her life.

I have a wonderful, if rather large, family. There aren't words to express my thankfulness for the family and friends...

Long days and pleasant nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did alot on thanksgiving, but Nicole..... maybe she needed a day of rest!!!
8 loads of laundry and I thought my kids were spoilt!!!

Patty