Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ups and Downs

Everyone that has known me for more than a decade knows that I have had my ups and downs with my weight. It is generally tied to my current emotional state and what is going on around me at the time.

Due to the events of 2009, I took a very serious look at myself. I looked in the mirror and did not like what I saw on the outside nor the inside.

The explanation to that is...

I didn't like that my clothes were getting tight and it wouldn't be long until I had to purchase a size larger.

I didn't like that all my life I had been on yo-yo diets with no real focus. There were pills and diet plans designed to drop weight fast. But I always came back to the cheeseburgers and pizza. Braums drive-thru and Mazzio's delivery are simply too convenient.

So as a Christmas present to myself, I bought a cheapo treadmill and it arrived the day after Christmas. By chance I found a co-worker that became my biggest cheerleader and unofficial coach. She is an exercise freak compared to me. The first week was hell. I couldn't even walk on the treadmill for 2 minutes without thinking my lungs were going to explode.

At the same time, I began ridding my kitchen of anything that was processed or contained white flour. Walking to work became almost the norm a couple times a week. The toughest times were those days that I had to wear three layers of clothing and hiking boots then avoid the cars sliding down the mountain on the ice. Co-workers have become so accustomed to seeing me walk that they only slow long enough for me to acknowledge the wave.

In April my employer announced a biggest loser competition. I was asked to join the first team that formed. Still not happy with my weight and the fact that the scale didn't seem to be moving.

Our team captain has been a champion in giving me pointers and teaching me how to overcome obstacles. Everyone at work that is participating in the challenge is a winner.

We had our mid challenge weigh-in last week. Today I found out that I was the second biggest loser. My goal is in sight. The next goal is set. The ultimate goal is to be healthy the next 44 years.

long days and pleasant nights

No comments: