Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More changes

You know the end is near when major changes happen. I don't mean the fact that the roster changes daily. Hell, that's the only way LaRussa knows how to manage a team. I mean when literally names change on uniforms.

We are about 6 weeks out from the end of the 2009 regular season. Rumors have been flying that controversial, future hall-of-fame pitcher John Smoltz was in talks with the Redbirds. He is 42 and has played most of his professional career in Atlanta. He went to Boston this season. The AL and he didn't agree. As of noon today he became a free-agent with blessings from the RedSox. About one minute after becoming a free-agent he became a Cardinal.

Here are my thoughts... He has an incredible arm, yet it is very old for professional baseball. He has experience yet he lacks tact. I remember the summer he had to travel with armed guards everytime the Braves went to NY because of his mouth. I saw him pitch that year and he was very impressive as a pitcher. However, he is no Carpenter.

So, I will withhold my opinion on whether this is a "good" thing until the World Series.

Long days and pleasant nights...

No comments: