Monday, July 14, 2008

Rocklahoma 2008

Last year, the first year of the ginormous 80's hairbands concert, was a lot of fun. I went with Kenna, Jimmy and Regina. We went two days and partied out to the music Jimmy and I remember from our teen years.

I opted not to renew my $100 ticket when the price went to $400 plus. I'm happy about that too since I had no clue who most of the bands were and therefore the music just annoyed me. We added Rocklahoma to Frank's Fun Friday Festivals list and were there live in the 4, 5 and 6pm newscasts. Frank had asked for one of the bands to be his primary interview in the 6pm. A man I had never met drove up on a golf cart with the funniest looking creature wearing a velure bright orange jogging suit. He had an entourage of two voluptuous women that were wearing so little clothing, even Frank didn't want to put them on air. I started trying to make small talk and do the producer thing, got the guys name - Donnie V, and band - Enuff Z Nuff, about that time Frank walks up. The first words out of his mouth were "Donnie V - OMG!" That began the night.

Barbara gave us a tour of the backstage area. Frank and Donnie V had become best buddies. We had corporate tickets and were able to go just about anywhere we wanted. The problem with going places with Frank is that you can only take two steps every half hour. People literally mob him. They want to give him hell about the weather or this or that, and almost always want a picture with him. Barbara snuck him backstage where he watched his favorite band of the night. Kenna and I left long before Frank.

Saturday Kenna and I went back as worker bees. Let me tell you - being just a volunteer isn't too bad. That is if you can handle smelling like beer at the end of the night. You meet a lot of really nice people that are very appreciative of you. I was offered marriage, money for my TK hat, and other things because I could pour a mean and fast beer. It was also fun seeing old friends that I haven't seen in years, literally.

The only scary part was when the wind and rain came and we thought the tents were going to blow away to Kansas and take us with them. Or, we would all be electricuted since the power box was 2 feet underwater. It didn't stop the party - only made our lines for beer longer.

Then when absolutely no one that had signed up for the last shift showed, I had the pleasure of working with Hunter (the new me), Jo and Lorri. That was fun. It was especially fun when the really cute girl that was hitting on Hunter actually believed that Hunter was was my son and she kept trying to get me to talk to him about going out with her. Then there was the kid that asked us if we had seen a man wearing a pink hat and dressed like a woman. We said no, he explained that was his step-dad and he was is in dire need of cash so would we keep a lookout for him. A while late that man actually came to me for beer! I totally believe John, Marlene and Jo about the weirdness having no end at Rocklahoma.

Go then there are other worlds than these...

No comments: